Skip to content
Contact Us   |  Councillors / Meetings   |  Compliments and complaints   |  Voting / Elections   |  About us   |  Finance / Performance
Contact Customer Services

Houses in Multiple Occupation licensing changes

Do it online

Monday 30 July

From Monday 1 October 2018, licensing for Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO) is changing.

From 1 October, you'll need to apply for a HMO licence if:

It's recommended that you apply for a licence now to ensure you do not commit an offence following the change on 1 October.

Temporary Exemption

You must apply for a Temporary Exemption Notice before 1 October if you intend to:

If your application for a Temporary Exemption Notice is successful, it'll last for a maximum of three months, instead of a full licence. You may apply for a secondary notice after this period however, if the issue is still not resolved after this notice runs out then you must apply for a HMO licence.

More advice

If you have any questions about the HMO licencing changes, you can contact our Private Sector Housing Team on 01795 417538 or by email at

Feedback form:
Was this information helpful?
Thanks for letting us know your views!
This feedback will be used to improve our online service. We cannot respond to specific requests.
It's good but
How can we make this section better?
A to Z of Services :
A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z