Skip to content
Contact Us   |  Councillors / Meetings   |  Compliments and complaints   |  Voting / Elections   |  About us   |  Finance / Performance

Get advice for residents and businesses following the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, including guidance on making your business COVID-secure.

System maintenance

Due to essential maintenance, our online system for things like Council Tax Support claims and reporting a change of circumstances will be unavailable between 10am and 2pm on Saturday 8 August. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience.

Contact Democratic Services

How to Complain about a Councillor's Behaviour

You can make a complaint about certain types of inappropriate behaviour by a councillor, member or co-opted member of either Swale Borough Council, or a Parish or Town Council within Swale.

You should be aware that details of your complaint are given to the member being complained about and your identity will not be kept confidential from this person. If you have concerns about this, please contact us at

Please be aware that we do not have the power to suspend or disqualify a member or to withdraw special responsibility allowances.

What you can complain about

All councillors and members are bound by their authority’s strict Code of Conduct. We can only investigate a complaint where this code of conduct has been breached.

If an incident occurs that is not covered by this code, or complaints where a member is not named, then you should contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau or Law Centre for advice.

What happens to your complaint?

Our Monitoring Officer will review every complaint received and decide if it justifies a formal investigation, or if the matter can be resolved informally.

You will be informed of this decision within 28 working days of receipt of your complaint.

If the complaint merits a formal investigation you will be forwarded information regarding the investigation and hearing process.

If your complaint identifies criminal conduct, the Monitoring Officer has the power to call in the Police and other regulatory agencies.

How do I make my complaint?

Assessment criteria

Before any assessment is made the Monitoring Officer must be satisfied that the complaint meets the following tests.


Complaining about a councillor's behaviour leaflet (PDF 108kb).

Borough Councillor code of conduct

View the code of conduct for Borough Councillors in Swale.

Parish and Town Councillor code of conduct

View the Parish and Town Councillor code of conduct for Swale.
A to Z of Services :
A  B  C  D  E  F  G  H  I  J  K  L  M  N  O  P  Q  R  S  T  U  V  W  X  Y  Z